ATHENS, Ala. (AP) - Three men suffered burns when a moonshine still exploded inside a brick garage at a residence in Athens.
Limestone County Sheriff Mike Blakely said the men were making home-made wine in a 25-gallon still when it blew up Saturday night and splashed them with hot mash.
A juvenile was at the home but not seriously injured.
Blakely said the three men sought treatment at an Athens hospital, where doctors thought the injuries were odd and called the sheriff's office.
Investigator Randy Burroughs said the owner of the house, Doug Powers, lost part of his finger earlier while using a potato grinder.
He suffered 3rd degree burns in the explosion and was transferred to UAB Hospital's burn unit.
About 250 gallons of wine and mash was confiscated from the house.
Burroughs said the scene was "like something out of Prohibition."
Investigators said charges are pending against Powers.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)