Five returnees lead the list of 42 finalists for the Alabama Sports Writers Associations 2008 Mr. Football award.
The group of 42 includes two players who were chosen as back or lineman of the year in their class from the 2007 awards - Class 4A linebacker Tana Patrick of North Jackson and Class 2A quarterback Clint Moseley of Leroy.
Three backs and three linemen in each class were selected as finalists in Alabama High School Athletic Associations 6A through 1A classes as well as the Alabama Independent Schools Association.
The finalists were chosen from 146 players who were nominated by coaches or ASWA members who cover high school sports.
In addition to Patrick and Moseley, Pike Liberal Arts running back Jerel Foster, Gaston running back Demont Buice and Cordova running back Tim Simon were finalists in the back of year year categories for AISA, Class 1A and 3A, respectively.
From the list of 42, the ASWA panel will select its winner for the Mr. Football award, won last season by Foley wide receiver Julio Jones, now at the University of Alabama.
The back and lineman of the year winners in each class will be named from among the 42 on Dec. 4, the morning of the first session of the AHSAA Super Six football championships.
Each of the 14 winners will be honored on Dec. 18 at the annual Mr. Football/Player of the Year banquet, sponsored and hosted by the Birmingham News, with the Mr. Football award announced at that time.
The group is an impressive one as Patrick, Simon, Foley lineman D.J. Fluker, Gadsden City defensive back Dre Kirkpatrick, and Tanner defensive end Amos Draper were selected to play in the annual Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Game to be held Dec. 13 in Mobile.
Of the 42, Foster helped Pike Liberal Arts to the AISA Class AAA state championship this past weekend while 13 other players represent teams still participating in the AHSAA playoffs:
Class 5A, Brandon Moore of Carver-Montgomery, Tyler Caldwell of Cullman, Marquez Jones of Hartselle;
Class 4A, Caleb Crane of Cherokee County;
Class 3A, Simon, Randon Carnathan of Leeds, Jamorris Ricks of Colbert County;
Class 2A, Moseley and Anthony Payne of Leroy;
Class 1A, Maurice Tate of Linden, Buice, Johnny Lockett and Tate Luker of Sweet Water.
The complete list selected by the ASWA All-State committee chaired by Ross Wood of the Clarke County Democrat:
- BACK Brett Bradford, Clarke Prep, Sr., RB; Jerel Foster, Pike Liberal Arts, Sr., RB; Garrett Pinciotti, Bessemer Acad., Sr., QB.
- LINEMEN Austin Butler, South Choctaw Acad., Sr., OL; Harris Gaston, Bessemer Acad., Sr., LB; Kendall Gibson, Fort Dale, Sr., OL/DL.
- BACK Demont Buice, Gaston, Jr., RB; Tommy Haley-Ricks, Hubbertville, Sr., TB; Johnny Lockett Sweet Water, Jr., RB.
- LINEMEN Tate Luker, Sweet Water, Sr., OL; Craig Sanders, Ariton, Jr., DE/FB; Maurice Tate, Linden, Sr., FB/LB.
- BACK Tony Ellis, Flomaton, Sr., RB; Mardrecas Hood, Pickens Co., Sr., WR; Clint Moseley, Leroy, Sr.
- LINEMEN Amos Draper, Tanner, Sr, DL/OL; Anthony Payne, Leroy, Sr., DL; Josh Williford,Houston Acad. Sr., OL/DL.
- BACK Jamorris Ricks, Colbert Co., Sr., RB/S; Tim Simon, Cordova, Sr., TB/LB; Jermaine "Juicy" Williams, Slocomb, Sr., RB/DB.
- LINEMEN Randon Carnathan, Leeds, Sr., DL; Daniel Hammett, Piedmont, Sr., LB; Jacobe Reynolds, Slocomb, Sr., LB/TE.
- BACK Corey Besteda, Jackson, Sr., QB/ATH; Nolen Smith, Oneonta, Jr., WR; Zach Stacy, Bibb Co., Sr., RB.
- LINEMEN Caleb Crane, Cherokee Co., Jr., LB; Gabriel Mass, Jackson, Sr., DL; Tana Patrick, North Jackson, Sr., LB.
- BACK Tyler Caldwell, Cullman, Sr., QB; Marquez Jones, Hartselle, Sr., RB; Jeremy Richardson, Springville, Jr., WR.
- LINEMEN Leland Baker, Erwin, Sr., DE; Walker May, Briarwood Christian, Sr., DE; Brandon Moore, Carver-Montgomery, Sr., OL.
- BACK Brett Booth, Tuscaloosa Co., Sr., QB; Derrick Colvin, Jackson-Olin, Sr., QB; Dre Kirkpatrick Gadsden City, Sr., DB.
- LINEMEN Quinton Dial, Clay-Chalkville, Sr., DL; D.J. Fluker, Foley, Sr., OL; Clinton Mosley, Theodore, Jr., LB.