Florida and Oklahoma finished first and second respectively in the Bowl Championship Series standings and will play for the BCS championship Jan. 8 in Miami. The game will feature two Heisman Trophy candidates in quarterbacks Tim Tebow of Florida and Sam Bradford of the Sooners.
Among the other bowl invites that went out today:
- Fourth-ranked Alabama settles for a spot in the Sugar Bowl after their bid for a perfect season was dashed by Florida yesterday. The Crimson Tide will face unbeaten and seventh-ranked Utah in the Jan. 2 game.
- The Rose Bowl will pit fifth-ranked Southern Cal against No. 6 Penn State on Jan. 1.
- No. 10 Ohio State has a date with third-ranked Texas in the Fiesta Bowl Jan. 5.
- No. 8 Texas Tech will face Mississippi in the Cotton Bowl to be played on Jan. 2.
- No. 16 Georgia accepted a bid to play Michigan State in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day.
- No. 12 Cincinnati will take on 21st-rated Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day.
- The Chick-fil-A Bowl has picked LSU as the SEC team to play No. 14 Georgia Tech on New Year's Eve.
- No. 17 BYU is headed for a fourth straight Las Vegas Bowl, facing Arizona in the Dec. 20 game.
- Kentucky will play in the 50th Liberty Bowl on Jan. 2, taking on Conference USA champion East Carolina.
- The Sun Bowl will be a matchup between 18th-ranked Pittsburgh and No. 24 Oregon State on New Year's Eve.
- Vanderbilt won't have to go far to play in its first bowl game since 1982. The Commodores will face Boston College in the Music City Bowl in their hometown of Nashville in New Year's Eve.
- Connecticut accepted a bid to play Mid-American Conference champion Buffalo in the International Bowl in Toronto. That game is slated for Jan. 3.
- The Gator Bowl made it official, picking Nebraska to face Clemson on Jan. 1.
- At 6-and-6, Notre Dame is headed to the Hawaii Bowl to face -- Hawaii. The Irish will be out to end their NCAA-record nine-game bowl losing streak.
The 15-year-old was arraigned on eight criminal charges. Because of the seriousness of the offense, prosecutors want him tried as an adult.More >>
The president has long been frustrated by the lengthy and intensifying probe and insists his 2016 presidential campaign did not collude with Russia to influence the election in his favor.More >>
Officials reported that an explosion in southwest Austin injured two men in their 20s who were hospitalized with injuries that didn't appear to be life-threatening.More >>
Trump also wants Congress to pass legislation reducing the amount of drugs needed to trigger mandatory minimum sentences for traffickers who knowingly distribute certain illicit opioids, said his domestic policy director.More >>