AG King announces conviction of sex offender

MONTGOMERY, AL., -- Attorney General Troy King announced the conviction of a discharged member of the Air Force for violations of the Alabama Community Notification and Registration Acts. Brian Lee Carroll, 26, of Enterprise and formerly of Misawa, Japan, was convicted for failing to register his place of residence as a sex offender and for failing to notify authorities prior to changing his residence.

Carroll admitted his guilt in what is known as a "blind plea," in which the defendant pleads guilty and the judge imposes a sentence that was not the result of a plea agreement with prosecutors. He was sentenced this morning to three years for each crime, to run concurrently. The sentences were suspended for time already served, and he was placed on supervised probation for a period of three years.

"All sex offenders must abide by Alabama's requirements for registration and notification," said Attorney General King. "There is no higher priority than the protection of children from the dangers of sex offenders. It is more important than ever that we vigorously enforce Alabama's laws to protect children from sex offenders, even as we now are working to strengthen our existing laws in this session of the Alabama Legislature."

Carroll pleaded guilty as charged in a two-count indictment that was returned in June of 2008. Specifically, the indictment charged that Carroll, after pleading no contest at a military court-martial for indecent sexual assault and having been discharged and released from the legal custody of the Air Force as an adult criminal sex offender, failed to register with the sheriff of Coffee County, Alabama, within seven days following such release, as required by law. Moreover, the indictment specifically charged that Carroll failed to submit a notice of intent to transfer his residence to the sheriff of the county and the police chief of the municipality in which he resided, as well as to the sheriff of the county and the police chief of the municipality to which he planned to move, at least 30 days prior to moving.

Attorney General King commended Assistant Attorney General Josh Bearden for his skill and dedication in bringing the case to a successful conclusion. He also thanked the Enterprise Police Department, noting in particular Detective Chris Hurley, and the 35th Mission Support Group of the United States Air Force and the Office of the Judge Advocate General in Misawa, Japan, for their cooperative investigation.