Carjacking, manhunt ends with suspect shot in Macon County

The suspect was shot by a sheriff’s deputy

Carjacking, manhunt ends with suspect shot in Macon County
Macon County Sheriff's deputies found the suspect near a home off I-85 Wednesday morning hours after an armed carjacking. (Source: WTVM)

MACON COUNTY, AL (WSFA) - An armed carjacking early Wednesday morning prompted a massive Macon County manhunt that ended hours later with one suspect in custody and transported to a hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound.

Macon County Sheriff Andre Brunson said the carjacking happened around 2:30 a.m. A man who was asleep in his vehicle at a rest stop was woken by four suspects whom the sheriff says assaulted him, robbed him, then stole his vehicle.

One of the suspects took the stolen vehicle while the other three drove away in the car they came in, the sheriff said. Deputies who were responding to the call spotted the stolen vehicle and turned around to pursue it. Brunson said the other three suspects broke off and went a different direction, but his officers continued to pursue the stolen car.

The suspect, identified only as a man in his mid-thirties, bailed out of the car on I-85 around Macon County Road 9.

Brunson said multiple law enforcement agencies responded to the area, including the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency, more of his deputies, as well as officers from the Shorter and Tuskegee police departments. The search dogs for Kilby Prison were also brought in to help with the hunt.

The manhunt ended about 10 miles away at a home on Old Franklin Road. That’s near the Sunoco gas station just off I-85 at the Tuskegee/Franklin exit.

The sheriff said deputies encountered the suspect along the side of the house, armed with a weapon Brunson said was an AK-47. A deputy ordered the suspect to put the weapon down. The suspect was ultimately shot by a deputy, though his condition was not immediately known.

“The guy still had the AK-47 in hand that he had when he robbed the guy last night," Brunson said, "and the deputy asked him to put it down, they had some words, and shots were fired.”

Both the suspect and a deputy were taken to an area hospital for treatment. Brunson said the officer was not shot, however he did suffer a broken nose and some bruises.

There’s no information available on the other three suspects at this time. Meanwhile, the carjacking victim is recovering from injuries including several broken bones.

The case is being investigated by the State Bureau of Investigation due to an office discharging their service weapon.

Copyright 2018 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.