PIKE ROAD, AL (WSFA) - By late Saturday afternoon The Feed Lot Ace Hardware store in Pike Road was still smoking after catching fire early Saturday morning.
According to Capt. David Hughes with the Pike Road Volunteer Fire Department, they responded to a fire alarm around 4:15 a.m. and when they arrived on the scene the front of the store was well involved with fire.
They requested assistance from three area fire departments.
The fire was contained, but as of 8:30 a.m. crews were still working to put out hot spots. They are still determining the damage to the store, but it’s significant, Hughes said.
Hughes said the main building with the offices was the one that burned. There was is a second building that was protected from the fire.
The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined.
Bob Jones, the store’s manager said his reaction was “shock and dismay” after seeing the scene post-fire.
According to the store’s website, it has been operating since 1979. They sell feed, seed and farm supplies including crop chemicals and fertilizers. They are also an Ace Hardware dealer.
It’s not the loss of the store that makes this hurt more for the employees, but the connections that were built.
“A lot of memories and a lot of people relationships,” said Jones.
“Bare with us as we work through this. Thank you for your business and loyalty through the years,” said Jones.
There was a second building on the property where the fire broke out, but it was not damaged in the fire.