9 startup businesses competing for $50K
AUBURN, AL (WSFA) - Nine startups are competing for $50,000 in the Auburn Regional Alabama Launchpad Competition.
“It’s designed to encourage entrepreneurship that’s going to have a positive impact on the state of Alabama and the five-county area surrounding Auburn,” said Director of Entrepreneurship Strategy at Auburn University Lucian Bifano.
The 2019 competing teams include:
- CryoXcel, Auburn – A rejuvenating cold-therapy product
- Flashtract, Auburn – A construction billing and payment workflow automation application
- Generational Systems, Auburn – A complete, affordable metal 3-D printing solution
- Levers, Tuskegee – A life management application
- Preggo Light, Tuskegee – A light that attaches to the hood of a vehicle to alert motorists of a pregnancy emergency
- Proximity Biosciences, Auburn – An anti-obesity and diabetes drug treatment
- Snippety Snap, Auburn – A public camera-phone stand and mobile application
- VentorLux, Phenix City – An air sterilizer that prevents infections that originate within hospitals
- Xpert Aerial, Chambers County – An aerial data acquisition service
The teams have made it this far and now the next step is to pitch their ides on Feb. 11.
“Each of those nine companies will present to the judges and the audience, their ideas,” said Arndt Siepmann, the city of Auburn’s deputy economic development director. "Think of it like a Shark Tank event.”
This is the second annual event and Bifano said that they’ve made improvements since last year, in addition to widening the scope of counties involved.
“We had more companies advance from their initial submission to the semi-final round,” said Bifano.
The competition is a collaborative effort between Auburn University and the city of Auburn and Siepmann said it’s a great event to have in the community.
“To provide early stage funds for those business ideas and to promote and develop startups in Auburn,” Siepmann said.
The judges will narrow down the teams after the February even t to compete for the prize money in March.
Multiple teams can win the competition for a portion of the $50,000.
Copyright 2019 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.