MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - Alabama lawmakers continue working toward passage of a lottery bill. The legislation passed the Senate in late April and moved on to the House.
On Wednesday, the House Economic Development and Tourism Committee approved a proposed change that will now go to the House for a vote.
Both House and Senate versions of the plan authorize a paper ticket lottery, but the House version calls for 75 percent of the lottery revenue to go to the general fund and the remaining 25 percent to the education budget. The committee also added that .25 percent of the money (or around $400,000) would go toward gambling addiction programs.
The Senate-passed plan doesn’t include any funding to education, instead calling for much of the money to pay off debt. The remaining funds would go to the general fund.
Rep. Steve Clouse, who is carrying the bill in the House, said he probably needs Democrats to vote on the if it’s to pass the House. He said a vote could happen in the next week.
If it passes the House, it will need to go back to the Senate because of the changes.
If the legislature approves a final lottery bill, it will go before the people in a statewide vote on March 3, 2020.