MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - The city of Montgomery will host the FCS Kickoff Classic for the third straight season on Saturday, with the Samford Bulldogs facing the Youngstown State Penguins.
Some roads in downtown Montgomery will be closed ahead of the game, which will be televised on ESPN. According to Montgomery Police Sgt. Jarrett Williams, beginning Saturday at 10 a.m., Madison Avenue will be closed to vehicle traffic from Jackson Street to Capitol Parkway. Hall Street between Adams Avenue and Madison Avenue, as well as Hilliard Street between Madison Avenue and Pelham Street, will also be closed, but Giffith Waller with the city of Montgomery said Hall Street at Adams Ave. will be converted into a one-way street accessible for the teams and fans parking.
Williams said no parking sings will be placed on North Capitol Parkway and South Capitol Parkway beginning Thursday to allow buses to use the road to turn onto Madison Avenue and prevent damage to vehicles that may be occupying the roadway.
Williams said the roads will open once the game ends and pedestrian traffic clears.
Fans attending the game can park in the following locations:
- Parking Lots A & B - may be accessed by Hall Street (Pass Required)
- Parking Lots D, F & G (Pass Required)
- Parking Lot K - must be accessed by Upper Wetumpka Road (Pass Required)
- Parking Lot J - must be accessed by Upper Wetumpka Road (Pass Required/Handicap Parking)
- Tallapoosa Street/Commerce Street Lot (Free Parking)
- Biscuits Lots (3) on Columbus Street (Free Parking)
- Municipal Deck – Madison Avenue/Court Street (Free Parking)
- Intermodal Deck – Molton Street/Water Street (Free Parking)
- Coosa Street Deck – Tallapoosa Street/Coosa Street (Free Parking)
- RSA-Tower Deck – Monroe Street/Perry Street (Free Parking/Non-Reserved Spaces)
- RSA-Capitol Deck – Madison Avenue/Decatur Street (Free Parking/Non-Reserved Spaces)
- RSA-Union Deck – Madison Avenue/Ripley Street (Free Parking/Non-Reserved Spaces)
RV parking will be available beginning Friday at noon. Lot C is designated for RV parking, and pop-up tents will not be allowed in this space. RV parking spaces with electrical hookups cost $50, and spaces without power cost $40. Those interested in securing a RV parking can contact Balsie Butler at 334 409-1323 or email email@example.com.
Reserved tailgating is available beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday at Lot E, located between Madison Avenue and Monroe Street, for $20 per space. Managed by EAT South, proceeds will benefit this River Region nonprofit urban teaching farm. To reserve a space email firstname.lastname@example.org and specify whether you are a Samford or YSU fan to guarantee a space in the correct section. No electrical outlets are available in Lot E.
Shuttle pick-up and drop-off points are:
- Madison Avenue/Hilliard Street
- RSA-Union Deck
- RSA-Capitol Deck
- Municipal Deck
- Tallapoosa Street/Molton Street
- Biscuits Lots
- Coosa Street Deck
Free shuttle service begins Saturday at 10 a.m. and will continue until all patrons have been picked up and dropped off.
Upon entering Cramton Bowl, every patron will be wanded. Umbrellas, long camera lenses, selfie sticks or pocket knives are not permitted, and any bags must be CLEAR 12x12 or less and will be thoroughly searched. Express lines are available for those without bags, and multiple lines will be available at each gate.
Tickets are still available at www.guardiankickoffclassic.com and Cramton Bowl’s Gate 5 will offer day-of ticket purchases as well as pick up for will call tickets Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday beginning at 10 a.m. All gates will open and sell tickets beginning at noon Saturday.
The game will begin at 2 p.m.