MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - Citing a drop in temperatures for the weekend, the Montgomery County Emergency Management Agency announced it will open its Montgomery Warming Center.
The center, located at the Montgomery Therapeutic Center at 604 Augusta Avenue, will be available to those looking to stay warm starting at 4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 9.
The EMA says due to COVID-19 exposures and staff concerns, it is operating warming centers under new guidelines used by the American Red Cross.
1. The center will open if temperatures are below 32 degrees for six or more hours between 9pm-6am. Businesses are open from 6am-9pm hours that individuals can seek refuge from the weather.
2. Only coffee, water, and non-perishable snacks will be provided.
3. We will no longer provide showers to avoid potential accidents.
4. Clothing donations are located at River City Church; anyone seeking or in need will be referred.
5. Sign-in/check-in will be from 4pm-8pm. If no one arrives by 8pm we will close in our best effort to limit overtime expenses.