Harris: Alabama now getting 90-100K vaccine doses weekly

State health officer provides update on vaccination efforts

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - State Health Officer Dr. Scott Harris provided updates Thursday morning on vaccination efforts saying Alabama is seeing an average delivery of about 90-100,000 doses a week.

Harris continues to remind residents there’s just not enough doses to vaccinate everyone who wants one, but he added the numbers are increasing. With 1.5 million residents eligible, that requires 3 million doses, and the supply is just not there yet, he explained. It’s a problem not unique to Alabama.

Dr. Scott Harris updates on COVID-19

LIVE: Dr. Scott Harris provides COVID-19 vaccination effort update. https://bit.ly/3qVC0zs

Posted by WSFA-TV on Thursday, February 25, 2021

To date, Harris said the Alabama Department of Public Health reports more than 800,000 people have gotten their first shot and that 77 percent of doses received so far have been administered. He added most of the remaining 23 percent are spoken for, most likely for those needing a second dose.

Despite wintry weather a week ago, Harris said it was actually the second best week in vaccinations the state has seen.

Harris also spoke about the pending J&J vaccine that has been found to be just as effective in clinical trials as the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. He said the state should know, perhaps by early next week, when it will be available on the market.

Following the first round of mass COVID-19 vaccination clinics around the state, health officials are preparing to launch follow-up clinics to provide second doses. In Montgomery, second doses will start going into arms on Feb. 27.

Currently, the state remains in Phase 1b of the vaccination rollout, which includes those over 65 and those eligible in Phase 1a.

Harris said ADPH has started allowing vaccination eligibility for a limited number of people in Phase 1c, but only if they’re over 65.

On Wednesday, the state reported 1,247 new COVID-19 cases with 14,772 new cases reported within the last two weeks.

Since the pandemic was first discovered in the state in March 2020, Alabama has reported 490,220 cases, 9,744 deaths and 45,250 hospitalizations

Copyright 2021 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.