Restaurant catches fire in downtown Prattville

Updated: Aug. 18, 2022 at 7:00 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PRATTVILLE, Ala. (WSFA) - Prattville police say there was a fire at Uncle Mick’s Cajun Market & Cafe on Main Street Thursday night.

According to Prattville Mayor Bill Gillespie and Prattville Fire Chief Terry Brown, the fire appears to have been accidental.

Firefighters were called to the restaurant around 9 p.m. Deputy Fire Chief Josh Bingham said smoke could be seen coming from the back of the restaurant when they arrived. They activated a second alarm, bringing in the remainder of the fire department.

Bingham said no one was injured, but there is “pretty substantial damage” to the restaurant. He said there is also some light smoke damage to nearby P’zazz Art Studio, as well as one of the stairwells of Whitney Bank.

Gillespie expressed appreciation for those who called it in, saying it could have been worse if they had not acted fast.

“It appears it had been smoldering inside for quite some time, and then whenever it finally became visible on the outside is when our citizens took action, and I just want to say thank you,” Gillespie said.

Main Street was shut down to give fire officials room to work.

Bingham said the state fire marshal’s office is working to determine the exact cause.

Uncle Mick’s has been there since 2009, according to its website.

Sign up for the WSFA Newsletter and get the latest local news and breaking alerts in your email!

Copyright 2022 WSFA. All rights reserved.