Atmore PD: Toddler dies after being left in car

Published: Feb. 28, 2023 at 11:48 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ATMORE, Ala. (WALA) - In a tragic story out of Atmore, a two-year-old boy is dead after police said his father left him inside his vehicle for several hours Monday, February 27, 2023.  He’s now charged with reckless murder.  Atmore Police told Fox 10 News the father apparently forgot to drop the child off at daycare and it wasn’t until he went to pick the boy up that he was found, still in the back seat.

“This is a terrible, terrible tragedy.  This community is shocked,” said Atmore Police Chief, Chuck Brooks.

Brooks said his officers responded to the Atmore Community Hospital Monday evening, where medical staff had officially pronounced the two-year-old boy dead.  His father, 51-year-old Shawn Rounsavall was arrested and charged with causing that death.

By all accounts, Brooks said it was unintentional, but because of the negligence shown by the father which he said led to the toddler’s death, Rounsavall now faces a very serious charge of reckless murder.

“Because of the reckless…or the disregard for the child, you know…a criminal charge, he was arrested for that particular incident,” explained Brooks.

Chief Brooks said the entire family is devastated by the incident.  Investigators said Rounsavall went to the daycare at First Baptist Church around 4:30 to pick up the two-year-old.  When told by the staff that the boy hadn’t been dropped off that morning, police said Rounsavall and some of the daycare staff found the boy in the back of his vehicle.  According to investigators, Rounsavall had spent the day working at his restaurant downtown while the child was left, apparently forgotten.

It’s been a very difficult time for many in the Atmore community.  A rose was brought in for each daycare worker who knew the boy.  A message of prayer was left posted on the front door of the Rounsavall’s restaurant, encouraging folks not to judge.  Across the street from the diner and ice cream shop, a fellow business owner said his heart goes out to the family.

“We have to have hearts of compassion and reach out and do our best to support the family.  Pray for the family,” said Terry Kelly, owner of Terry’s Furniture and Music.  “Be with the family and help the family through this tragedy.”

Police Chief Chuck Brooks said it’s been tough on his officers as well.

“As a law enforcement officer, we have to put our personal opinions to the side.  Like I said, this has been a hard…hard case to work.  My officers have been affected by it and we will deal with that and get them the help that they need to get past this,” Brooks said.

Atmore Police continue to investigate and until an autopsy is finished, there won’t be an official cause of death.  Shawn Rounsavall had a bond hearing Tuesday.  That bond was set at $500,000.


Download the FOX10 Weather App. Get life-saving severe weather warnings and alerts for your location no matter where you are. Available free in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store.