Montgomery police confirm 3-year-old killed in accidental shooting on NYE
MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - A Montgomery family is warning others about the dangers of leaving a handgun within reach of children after the death of their young son.
According to Teresa Gibson, her 3-year-old son, Quinton Gibson, Jr. went into her bedroom closet on Dec. 31 and found a loaded gun. Quinton then accidentally shot himself in the chest.
Gibson says her son would have turned four on Wednesday. Now, she's trying to raise funds to lay him to rest.
"I couldn't even believe he was gone so quick," said Junior's uncle, Donald Sleasman. " He was outgoing, he was adventurous. He was a sweet little boy."
According to MPD investigators, the shooting is confirmed to be accidental. Officers were called to the home in the 1700 block of Yarborough Street around 2 p.m. that New Year's Eve. The shooting was ruled a death investigation, and no foul play had been suspected.
Now, Gibson is asking anyone who can help to please donate toward her child's funeral expenses. She has set up a
. The child's funeral is scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m. with Ross-Clayton Funeral Home directing.
Sleasman says his sister, "Was in the living room changing her 9-month-old baby and Junior was in the back in her bedroom. What a 3-year-old would do is climb up, be adventurous. He climbed up, got the gun in the closet."
Copyright 2014 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.