Huntingdon defeats Greensboro 40-20

Huntingdon defeats Greensboro 40-20

GREENSBORO, NC (WSFA) - Huntingdon defeated Greensboro 40-20 Saturday in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Huntingdon again dominated the game early en route to their sixth consecutive win.

The Hawks scored on their opening drive with a five-yard run from John Iwaniec, giving Huntingdon a 7-0 lead.

With under four minutes to go in the opening quarter and the score still 7-0, Huntingdon's John Iwaniec failed to punch the ball in the endzone from the one-yard line on fourth.

As a result, Greensboro's offense took over at their own one-yard line. On the first play of the drive, running back Kenneth Purvis was hit in the backfield for a safety, giving the Hawks a 9-0 lead and the ball back.

On the ensuing drive, the Hawks drove easily down the field, led by Vic Jerald and Jay Ware. On the seventh play of the drive, Jay Ware ran over the Greensboro defense from the one-yard line to give the Hawks their second touchdown of the game.

With the extra point, Huntingdon extended its lead to 16 going into the second quarter.

On the ensuing drive, Greensboro answered the touchdown with an eight-yard touchdown rush from running back Cortez Vernon.  However, Greensboro failed the two-point conversion, keeping the score at 16-6.

Midway through the second quarter, quarterback Luke Bailey connected with Darius Dawsey for a two-yard touchdown, extending the lead to 17.

Greensboro quickly answered with a 65-yard touchdown run by Cortez Vernon to bring the score to 22-12.

With less than two minutes to go in the half, Greensboro quarterback Mac Graham connected with Raymond Bridges for a touchdown to cut the lead to three.

With less than a minute to go in the half, Huntingdon answered Greensboro with another touchdown. Quarterback Luke Bailey connected with Nick Haas for a 41-yard touchdown to bring the score to 30-20 going into the half.

In the second half, both defenses became much stingier.

Huntingdon did put up a score with a one-yard rush from Vic Jerald midway through the third quarter to extend the lead to 37-20 going into the final quarter of play.

In the final quarter, Huntingdon added an early field goal to take a 40-20 lead.

After the field goal, Huntingdon began to run out the clock, while their defense held strong.

On their third possession of the quarter, Huntingdon ran out the final six and half minutes on the clock to the seal their 40-20 victory.

Quarterback Luke Bailey finished with a strong 17 completions out of 26 attempts and 224 yard. Bailey threw for two touchdowns.

John Iwaniec, Jay Ware, and Vic Jerald all scored a touchdown on the ground for the Hawks, with Jerald leading the group with 104 yards.

With their win over Greensboro, Huntingdon remains alone at the top of the USA South standings with a 5-0 conference record.

Huntingdon returns home for the rest of the season starting next week, when the Hawks welcome Maryville. Kickoff is slated for 1:00 p.m.

Copyright 2015 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.