UNION SPRINGS, AL (WSFA) - The city court system is back up and running in Union Springs after more than thirty years.
Re-establishing the municipal court is meant to make things more convenient for citizens, city leaders said.
The first night court was held Thursday night as citizens packed the courtroom to pay their fines or have their cases heard by the judge.
District Court had been handling city cases but officials felt that re-launching the municipal system would allow for a more streamlined process.
Mayor Saint T. Thomas Jr. says many of the court proceedings were held during the day and people would have to take time off of work to attend. The city felt it needed its own court and that having it at night would things easier.
"It's a service to our community so during the day when they have court, they won't have to get off their jobs. They can stay on their jobs and at night come to court without losing any of the benefits of their jobs," he added.
According to the mayor, Union Springs Police Chief Danny Jackson pushed for the re-launch of city court.
The city council asked the chief to look into it more and he went to other cities to research their court systems and procedures. He brought his findings back to city officials and they supported the move to restore the municipal court after three decades.
"We have worked hard to get this court back to Union Springs. It's a necessary court for the citizens of Union Springs. It will be convenient for the citizens as far as the time," Chief Jackson said. "We have pretrial diversion and alternate punishment plans. It's going to be a benefit for the whole community when we get in the full swing of things."
Night court will be held the first Thursday of each month at 5 p.m.
There are also a new payment system in place for city fines.
- Pay Online: unionspringsal.govtportal.com
- Pay over the phone with the 24 hour multi-lingual automated phone payment system: 334-721-8188
- Send a United States Postal Service Money Order through the mail. Mail to:
- Union Springs Municipal Court
- 212 Prairie Street North, Room 111
- P.O. Box 549
- Union Springs, AL 36089
- Pay in the office: cash, credit/debit card or United States money order
- Set up a payment plan by appearing in court on the scheduled court date and filling out the appropriate forms.