Advertisement

Bentley's lottery proposal passes Senate 21-12, will head to House

Published: Aug. 19, 2016 at 10:08 PM CDT|Updated: Aug. 20, 2016 at 1:51 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - The Alabama State Senate has passed Gov. Robert Bentley's lottery proposal by a 21-12 vote on Friday.

Lawmakers debated SB3, Bentley's proposal, for hours before finally giving it the green light. The bill did get multiple amendments, which the governor said all made the bill stronger.

As the bill is right now, 10 percent of the lottery revenue would go to education, with the remaining 90 percent heading to the general fund. $100 million of the general fund split will be required to go straight to Medicaid.

Now the bill will head to the House, where the bill could be in committee as early as next Tuesday.

Time could become an issue, as the bill must pass by Aug. 24 in order to be on the November ballot. If it does not, a special election would be required, costing taxpayers more than $3 million.

Sen. Jim McClendon's lottery bill, SB11, was shot down in the Senate on Thursday as it didn't even come up to a vote.

Copyright 2016 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.