Poll watchers headed to Dothan for municipal election
DOTHAN, AL (WSFA) - There will be extra eyes monitoring Tuesday's municipal election in Dothan. Secretary of State John Merrill confirms there will be at least four people sent from the state to monitor the election.
Merrill says the goal is to visit all polling sites, but there are some locations poll watchers will be required to visit. Those locations won't be released. Merrill says that's in an effort not to give anyone a head's up they're coming.
"Our primary goal is to ensure we have a safe, secure, and credible election. That's why we're going to make sure we visit all locations we need to visit," said Merrill.
He couldn't confirm if there is an active, ongoing investigation, but did say this is a proactive approach to ensure there are no repeats of 2013. An investigation in Houston County uncovered voter fraud activity and ended with four people convicted.
Polling sites open at 7 a.m. Tuesday and close at 7 p.m. Residents have the opportunity to vote for mayor, school board chairman, school board members and city commission seats.
Below are a list of polling locations:
- District 1A-Walton Park Recreation Center, 122 Walton Park Drive
- District 1B-Andrew Belle Community Center, 1270 Lake Street
- District 2A-Roy Driggers Building (Civic Center), 126 N. St. Andrews Street
- District 2B-Wiregrass Recreation Center, 620 Sixth Avenue
- District 3A-Houston County Farm Center, 1701 E. Cottonwood Road
- District 3B-National Guard Armory, 1842 Third Avenue
- District 4A-Dothan Utilities Complex, 200 Kilgore Drive
- District 4B-Doug Tew Recreation Center, 300 Garland Street
- District 5A-Westgate Recreation Center, 501 Recreation Road
- District 5B-Wesley Place on Honeysuckle, 718 Honeysuckle Road
- District 6A-Vaughn-Blumberg Center, 2715 Flynn Road
- District 6B-Wiregrass Commons Mall Community Room, 900 Commons Drive
Copyright 2017 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.