Selma police chief responds to preliminary crash report

Selma police chief responds to preliminary crash report

MONTGOMERY CO., AL (WSFA) - A recently released preliminary crash report is giving new insight into what happened during a crash involving Selma Police Chief Spencer Collier.

Alabama Law Enforcement Agency officials say the two-vehicle crash happened on U.S. 80 around Mitchell Young Road in Montgomery on Monday.

According to the report, Collier's vehicle was traveling east on U.S. 80 when it left the roadway, re-entered, then over corrected. Collier's vehicle then began spinning before crossing the median and striking a second vehicle.

The reports indicate Collier told investigators he did not remember anything about the crash or the events leading up to it. The driver of the second vehicle told investigators that when he realized Collier's vehicle was starting to the cross the median, he hit his brakes and tried to take evasive action to avoid the collision.

The report also shows investigators took a blood sample from Collier and submitted it to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences. The results of those tests are still pending.

Both Collier and the second driver were transported from the scene to Baptist South Hospital for treatment before being released.

Collier and his attorney, Kenny Mendelsohn, responded to requests for comment regarding the report. Mendelsohn said the chief suffered a blow to his temple resulting in a concussion and a broken collarbone, as well as a minor fracture in his neck.

"With respect to the wreck, Spencer does not remember anything about it," Mendelsohn said. "He remembers leaving Selma and waking up at Baptist Hospital. I am sure this is caused by the head trauma."

The attorney continued, "Spencer has said that he is thankful that the other driver was not hurt worse and hopes he recovers well. He also wants to thank the Deputies who were immediately at the scene; the medical personnel who treated him and the other driver; and the ALEA Officer who assisted and investigated the wreck."

Collier said his primary concern is the occupants of the other vehicle and added that while he doesn't remember what happened, he indicated he worked an overnight surveillance detail part of late Saturday into Sunday morning. He also worked a crowd control and street clearing detail Saturday night at the request of a city council member.

The chief said he worked until about 6:30 Monday night and was behind the wheel of his city-issued, unmarked police SUV at the time of the crash. He said the vehicle was assigned as a take-home unit because he is a department head. He lives outside the Selma city limits but said his family is in the process of moving.

Copyright 2017 WSFA 12 News. All Rights Reserved.