MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - President Donald Trump has declared that a major disaster exists in Alabama because of the impact of Hurricane Nate, Governor Kay Ivey announced Thursday.
Ivey made the major disaster request on Oct. 30. The Federal Emergency Management Agency Public Assistance Program will provide all categories of assistance to five counties: Baldwin, Choctaw, Clarke, Mobile and Washington.
The program helps reimburse local governments, state agencies, eligible private non-profits and electric co-operatives for certain expenses incurred after Nate. Federal disaster aid is not available for individual residents.
The FEMA Public Assistance program categories are:
- Category A: Debris Removal
- Category B: Emergency Protective Measures
- Category C: Roads and Bridges
- Category D: Water Control Facilities
- Category E: Buildings and Equipment
- Category F: Utilities
- Category G: Parks, Recreational Facilities and Other Items
Autauga, Dallas and Macon counties will receive Category B assistance.