2-year-old boy dies in Montgomery house fire

2-year-old boy dies in Montgomery house fire
The fire may have started in the little boy's bedroom
A toddler is dead after a Montgomery house fire (Source: WSFA 12 News)
A toddler is dead after a Montgomery house fire (Source: WSFA 12 News)

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - A north Montgomery family is grieving after a fire claimed the life of a 2-year-old boy.

It happened Friday morning on Savage Drive in the Madison Park neighborhood off Highway 231 North.

"I just don't know what to say," said Madison Park resident William Burks.

Burks had a bad feeling when he heard the sirens that never seemed to stop and fire trucks rushing to the scene along with an ambulance.

"The Lord takes care of his own. I just hope everything works out for the family," Burks said.

According to Sgt. Omari Whiting with Montgomery Fire/Rescue, Montgomery firefighters arrived within four minutes of getting the call around 8 a.m. Much of the house was engulfed in flames and smoke. A grandmother and two children were able to escape, but not the 2-year-old boy.

It's not clear what started the blaze, but fire investigators believe it originated in the little boy's bedroom, the same place where his body was found.

Family members aren't the only ones who are grieving, so are residents of Madison Park along with the firefighters who did all they could to try to save the little boy.

"This is the hardest thing for firefighters to deal with is fire fatalities. More importantly, a child, so we at Montgomery Fire and Rescue will continue to be proactive and do what we can do to keep the citizens of Montgomery safe," Whiting said.

Twenty firefighters gave it all they had.

Authorities aren't releasing the little boy's name for now. Whiting says this is the city's first fire fatality this year.

Copyright 2018 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.