Multi-million dollar runway under construction in Auburn

Multi-million dollar runway under construction in Auburn
Construction is underway for a $4.3 million taxiway at the Auburn University Regional Airport. (Source: WSFA 12 News)
Construction is underway for a $4.3 million taxiway at the Auburn University Regional Airport. (Source: WSFA 12 News)

AUBURN, AL (WSFA) - Construction is underway for a $4.3 million taxiway at the Auburn University Regional Airport.

"It's part of the project to relocate the taxiway farther away from the runway. we have tear down some of the older structures on the airport, and some of those are gone and our terminal building that has served us well over many years is next to go," says Airport Director Bill Hutto.

The multi-million dollar project is being 90 percent funded by the Federal Aviation Administration. The other 10 percent is being split between the state and local partners. The old terminal was built in 1950 and officials say that this change has been in the works for a long time.

"Oh it is way overdue. We've been working on this, it's been part of our plan for 13 years now and we had to do some other projects before I could get to this point. So it is overdue but the timing is perfect," says Hutto.

Students that were taking classes in the terminal will be working from portable office trailers throughout the fall semester until construction on the much anticipated Delta Air Lines Aviation Education Building is complete.

Copyright 2018 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.