Montgomery house 'explosion' victim identified

Updated: Jul. 23, 2018 at 8:32 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) - Authorities and neighbors have identified the man who died in a house fire on Friday night as 65-year-old Steve Day.

Montgomery Fire and Rescue responded to a structure fire on Glendale Avenue late Friday evening. When they arrived on the scene, the house was engulfed in flames and one of the walls was detached.

"There were some signs that indicated that there was some kind of an explosion, and one of the walls and part of the roof was detached, and there was some debris in the yard," Lieutenant Jason Cupps said.

Shawna Harris was at home during the time of the explosion. She lives across the street from Day.

"There was an explosion and I was inside of my house so I didn't really know what was going on. It shook my door and it frightened me, so I called my stepfather," Harris said.

At one point, Harris thought someone was trying to break into her home.

"I thought like someone was trying to break into my house. It was like a really loud bursting sound like and it actually shook my door," Harris said.

Eventually, Harris went outside and saw her neighbor's house in flames.

"The neighbors, they were screaming that the older man was on fire and they were just trying to get the firemen to get their attention so they can help," Harris said.

Another one of Day's neighbors, who wishes to remain anonymous, said she was sitting on her porch when she heard an "explosion."

"I was sitting on the porch around 11 p.m. on Friday night and I heard like an explosion went boom twice," the anonymous neighbor said.

Crews were able to extinguish the flames; however, two people were injured as a result of the fire.

One person suffered from minor injuries, and the other, who is now being identified as Day, died as a result of the blaze.

Day was being treated at a local hospital for his burns and from there was taken to UAB for treatment. He was pronounced dead on Saturday morning.

The cause of the "explosion" is still under investigation.

Copyright 2018 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.