WEST ALLIS, WI (WITI/CNN) - A vehicle fire quickly engulfed a minivan on Thursday.
Responding firefighters were shocked to see there was a man in the driver's seat.
He couldn't get out of the vehicle on his own because he was unconscious.
First responders broke the window with an ax and pulled the driver, who was still in his seat belt, out of the burning car.
They say the way he was positioned inside contributed to the flames.
"His foot was on the accelerator and the engine was revving the entire time, which is probably what generated the heat to start the fire," said Kurt Zellmann of West Allis Fire Dept.
The 60-year-old driver suffered only minor scrapes and bruises.
Police said he had been drinking and cited him for operating while impaired.