Mom still searching for answers year after 2-year-old's death

Mom still searching for answers year after 2-year-old's death
Updated: Aug. 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

ENTERPRISE, AL (WSFA) - Nearly nine months after the death of 2-year-old Nehemiah Armstrong, the circumstances surrounding his death are still a mystery. His mother says she wants answers and justice.

"Last time you recorded me, I had lost over 40 pounds. It's been stressful. I've been trying to do everything to get answers," said Emery Armstrong, Nehemiah's mother, "It's like my son was taken from me and nobody has any answers and that stresses me out the most,"

Enterprise police say Nehemiah was found unresponsive on Nov. 9, at a home in Sunny South Trailer Park. Armstrong says Nehemiah along with her three other children, 6-month-old Nehemiah's twin brother Jeremiah, and 4-year-old, were at the home under the supervision of her ex-boyfriend's family while she was at work.

According to an ambulance report, provided by Armstrong, emergency workers noted when they arrived at the scene a man approached them holding Nehemiah stating that he was already dead and there was nothing that can be done.

Nehemiah was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

According to the hospital report provided by Armstrong, physicians noted some swelling and possible bruising to Nehemiah's forehead and upper eyelid.

Armstrong says Nehemiah's twin brother was also transported to the hospital from the home with significant injuries.

"Four cracked ribs, liver split in half and was at stage four liver failure and part of his spine was broken. They said it was a miracle he's still alive."

Armstrong says her 6-month old was also found unconscious at the home, but paramedics were able to wake her up. The 6-month-old was taken to the hospital for evaluation and released.

No word yet on what caused the 6-month to be unconscious. The 4-year-old didn't require any medical attention.

Since Nehemiah's death, Armstrong says she's spent her days trying to get answers, "I took it upon myself to get the ambulance record, medical record, police record - all of that," said Armstrong, "My biggest concern is what's going on? What do I need to do to get justice?"

Enterprise police confirm the investigation into Nehemiah's death is ongoing. Police say it has not been classified as a child abuse case. Investigators have brought in a team to assist in looking into what happened.

"They're also consulting outside specialists who specialize in incidents with children that may look like abuse or may not be abuse," said Lt. Billy Haglund, Enterprise Police. "Unfortunately this has been quite a long investigation. I would say that they're doing everything they can, but they're trying to get all the information they can before they proceed if there are going to be criminal charges or not,"

Haglund says investigators are also working with physicians, the medical examiner's officer, forensic specialists, and the District Attorney's office as part of the investigation, "They're doing everything they can at this point. I just can't tell you it'll be next week or two weeks. I can't give you a set time on an investigation."

Armstrong says she hopes answers will come sooner rather than later for the family still grieving, "We lost a part of our family. We lost a piece of our puzzle. Our family ain't complete without him."

Copyright 2018 WSFA 12 News. All rights reserved.